Founded in 1906, AJC seeks to enhance the well-being of the Jewish people and Israel, and to advance human rights and democratic values in the United States and around the world. Among Jewish advocacy organizations, AJC is the leader in the global arena. We are known for our unparalleled access to diplomats, government officials, and faith leaders in more than 100 countries. In addition to our New York headquarters and Office of Government and International Affairs in Washington, D.C., AJC has offices across the United States and around the globe and maintains partnerships with Jewish communities worldwide.
AJC’s Los Angeles Regional Office is a fast-paced, highly effective organization that demands creativity, commitment and a passion for AJC’s advocacy mission. The successful candidate will join an AJC region that is poised for growth and features a highly engaged and entrepreneurial leadership team. AJC Los Angeles conducts advocacy with high-profile diplomats and public officials, via the media, and through building bridges of understanding between the Jewish community and many different religions, cultures and nationalities.
The ideal candidate will be a smart, high-energy self-starter who combines organizational acumen and professionalism with knowledge of the Los Angeles Jewish community, as well as the larger philanthropic and corporate sectors. The candidate must also be a consummate team player who works effectively with various constituencies.
The Development Director, working in close partnership with the Regional Director, will manage all elements of AJC Los Angeles’ fundraising programs, working with staff and leadership to ensure that AJC reaches its annual revenue goals through major gifts, constituency development, honoree award dinners, annual appeals, planned giving, and the identification and solicitation of foundations. In addition, the successful candidate will assist in general outreach to and engagement of volunteers throughout Los Angeles and will join a highly motivated team committed to strengthening and building AJC’s presence in Los Angeles.
The Development Director does all of this while adhering to AJC’s core values: Respect, Teamwork, Integrity, Excellence, and Accountability.
Primary Fundraising Responsibilities:
· Plan and direct all aspects of AJC Los Angeles’ fundraising efforts which currently raises $2.1 – $3 million per year;
· Oversee and manage AJC Los Angeles’ annual fundraising events (2-4 events per year);
· Maintain and grow an ongoing pipeline of prospects;
· Maintain and enhance the relationship between current donors and AJC, seeking to increase their commitment and giving;
· Provide education and solicitation training for Board, staff and young leaders;
· Mentor new leaders to maximize their leadership and giving potential;
· Assist National AJC in the identification of and introduction to prospects for planned giving opportunities;
· Assist National AJC in the solicitation of foundation gifts from Los Angeles;
· Oversee gift entry and the updating of donor information in the development database and respond to inquiries and questions from donors and National AJC about pledges and gifts;
· Supervise the Associate Director of Development and Development & Events Coordinator and help direct the fundraising responsibilities of the other professional staff.
· Assist in the identification of appropriate prospects for leadership engagement;
· Perform other tasks as needed to support overall office effectiveness.
The ideal candidate will have extensive knowledge of, and a strong commitment to, Jewish issues and the objectives of AJC and have strong ties to the Los Angeles philanthropic community. The best candidate will be an experienced, goal-oriented development professional with planning and management skills and a proven track record of fundraising success with significant experience in donor cultivation, major gift solicitation and stewardship.
· Bachelor’s degree required;
· 8-10 years fundraising experience;
· Flexible, creative and strategic thinker able to develop new ways to engage potential and existing donors and to create new giving opportunities and programs;
· Passion for AJC’s mission (including the safeguarding of Israel and the fight against terrorism and global anti-Semitism);
· Experienced in developing board members and increasing their level of participation in the fundraising process;
· Pride and professionalism in work accomplishments;
· Strong organizational, project-management and time management skills, ability to manage data and develop, implement and oversee a budget;
· Excellent written and verbal communications skills;
· Ability to creatively and practically solve problems, to multi-task and work on many projects simultaneously;
· Ability to work effectively under pressure, make tough decisions and follow through on agreed upon initiatives;
· A self-starter, willing to take initiative, with an entrepreneurial mindset, who can work independently or collaboratively with professional and lay leadership;
· Availability for early morning, evening and weekend meetings;
· Proficiency in Raiser's Edge (or is a proven quick learner) and Microsoft Office, particularly Excel;
· Familiarity with the Los Angeles area and demographics;
· A sense of humor.
AJC is an Equal Opportunity Employer